Yields: 1 serving | Prep time: 25 min | Cook time: 45 min | Total time: 1 hr 10 min
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate (non dairy = 100% cacao baking squares)
- ½ cup chocolate chips (dairy or non dairy, e.g. Enjoy Life®)
- 8 tbsp butter or non dairy alternative (Earth Balance® Buttery Sticks)
- 1 cup granulated cane sugar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs or egg substitute of choice
- ¼ cup black coffee, prepared
- ⅔ cup gfJules™ All-Purpose Gluten-Free Flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Arrange a sheet of parchment paper or aluminum foil in an 8×8-inch baking pan, pressing to cover the bottom and up the sides.
- If using aluminum foil, use the “release” kind, or lightly spray with cooking oil. This step will make it easier to remove the brownies from the pan by pulling up on the paper or foil and leaving behind a clean pan.
- Prepare a double boiler or a medium-size pan filled with 1 inch of water, with a slightly smaller pan sitting on top of the pan with water. Boil the water in the bottom pan, then cut the flame back to low-medium and add the chocolates and butter to the top pan over the simmering water. Stir and remove from heat when melted.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar and vanilla, then stir in the eggs, one at a time. If using an electric mixer, beat for 6 minutes on high; the mixture will be lighter in color and texture after 6 minutes.
- Finally, add in the coffee and continue to whisk until mixture is completely smooth. Add to the melted chocolate mixture.
- In a large bowl, whisk to combine the gfJules™ Flour, salt, and baking powder. Stir into the melted chocolate-sugar pot until combined. Gently fold in the cherries, if using.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35–45 minutes, or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in center comes out with only a few wet crumbs (not totally clean, or they’ll be overcooked!). As a rule, brownies are much better on the un-done side, as opposed to the overdone side.